12.06.2010

Daddies and Dinners

I was 16 years old, or right around that age and had been to dinner with my parents and Tim. A family of 4 came into the restaurant we were eating at and perused the menu for a while then decided to eat dinner there. My Dad watched them for a while and we continued with our conversation and meal until our night concluded. I remember my Dad signaling to the waitress who was serving us and talking to her for a moment. I heard him ask her for our check and for the check of the table with the family of 4 who had come in near us. He handed her his credit card and asked the waitress to let the family enjoy their meals and serve them a dessert then let them know their meal had been covered.

This honestly had happened several times in my lifetime and it wasn't something unusual for me to sometimes witness, but I remember this time in particular because as he paid the bill he saw me looking at him and my dad told me, "One day I may not be here to take you somewhere and God will make sure to bring people around to take care of you."

Tonight I was blessed by some beautiful ladies with what seems like an ordinary night out for the girls. Pedicures and dessert. Maybe it's the hormones, or maybe it's just my heart, but being blessed by those beautiful women tonight was more than I had imagined. As we sat around dessert chit chatting and such our waitress came over and told us our check had been covered by a gentleman at another table. :) Yes, this time our table knew who it was, another Daddy....one of my girlfriends' father who was also there for dinner. The gesture, the thought made me think about my sweet daddy and his words...and how true they were. His faithfulness to something he believed in over a decade ago touched my life tonight. Not the check being paid, not the dessert or the pretty toes, but the people God brought into my life to show me love when the ones I miss the most aren't here for me.

Makes me want to work so much harder to show God my faithfulness so He too will watch over and provide for my boys on the days when I can't.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am always so impressed with how intuned you are to God's hand in your life.

    ReplyDelete