11.22.2009

One of those phone calls

You know those phone calls that happen in the middle of the night? The one that wakes you suddenly from a dead sleep. The kind of phone call you know will only bear bad news because bad news always comes at night, it can never wait. Good news isn't something we wake people up to share. The kind of phone call that makes your mind race wondering where your family is and if their okay before you dare answer the phone. Yeah, that phone call.
I got one of those calls this morning. The first thing that came to mind was that it would be my dad's health. When the relief came that it wasn't Dad, then the panic struck because is was my sister in law. Panic again, was it one of the kids?
She quickly got out the information that my bro in law was in the ER for heart pain that turned out to be fluid around his heart. The team in town couldn't treat it so they were going to send him by ambulance to SMH up in Sarasota and my SIL was too tired to drive. I quickly got dressed and brushed my teeth and headed to the ER.
As I drove to the E.R. a million thoughts rushed through my head about them. All the "what if" and "what now" questions that naturally run through your mind. Then as I waited for a light to turn green, I started to pray. Remembering that God was in control of all and purposes all for His good will. And my spirit settled and my peace grew. Knowing I couldn't do anything in my power to change things but that I could pray for God's great hand to work His mighty ways, reassured my spirit that all would be okay. I knew I had to have peace in order to help my SIL have peace through everything as well. It turns out everything is going to be okay. An infection turned out to be the culprit of the cause of the fluid. They are giving him antibiotics and hoping it will clear out the fluid. A night in the hospital for observation they hope to release him tomorrow.
This morning helped me be grateful for the people in my life who I could lean on when I get a middle of the night phone call. I know there are a slew of people who would help me out if I needed it. But most importantly I'm so grateful for knowing my God is in control of my life and walking through everything with me. And when the phone calls at night happen and I know they will, I have a God I can call on to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment