12.18.2011

Big Red Mailbox

I know some families don't do the whole Santa tradition and to each their own. This is totally not a rant about why you should or shouldn't believe in Santa.....but I remember as a little girl the joy, anticipation and excitement of Santa Claus. In believing in something magical and ridiculous and exciting. I suppose in many ways my life stories have always been shaped around believing in magical tales greater than my reality, but the psycho analysis of myself can be saved for another night. Either way, Tim and I decided we would be a Santa Claus Christmas tradition family.

Yes, we do tie Santa Claus and presents into the nativity story, so it's not a commercialized event at our house (and we're even those crazy over analytical ones, well I am, who researched the perspectives of leading Christian children therapists and their views on teaching about Santa and incorporating it into faith).....but part of the excitement of Santa is the preparations for the big arrival.....such as mailing Santa a letter. (When I was little the U.S. Post Office used to accept the letters and would even send a letter from Santa to your address! But alas, they no longer accept them. So thank heavens for Macys!)

MJD and I went into the mall the other day and wrote out a letter to Santa....well he tried, I held his hand for it and then he mailed it :)
In so many ways I am glad we are doing this. I love seeing the magical excitement in his eyes. I love seeing him absorb everything around him. Even down to the way he contemplates getting mad about something when I remind him his "light" might turn from green to red and Santa won't come.

I just love watching my kid love this time of year.



1 comment: